Outstanding image capture of distant subjects
When mounted on a PENTAX K-mount interchangeable-lens digital camera body, this super-telephoto lens offers an equivalent focal length of approximately 859mm in the 35mm format. Since its unique telescope-type optics requires fewer optical elements than conventional lens optics, it assures sharp, well-defined images, particularly with distant subjects. Also by incorporating two ED (extra-low dispersion) optical elements, it delivers bright, high-resolution images even at the edges, while effectively minimizing chromatic aberration.
New, high-grade HD Coating
This lens is treated with HD Coating,* a high-grade multi-layer lens coating newly developed by PENTAX. Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, this new coating provides higher light transmittance with reduced reflection, to deliver sharp, clear images free of flare and ghost images, even under demanding lighting conditions such as backlight.
* HD stands for High Definition, and signifies the lens’s capacity to reproduce images that excel in brightness, definition, resolution and rendition.
Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
As a new model of the AW (All Weather) series, this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction with 29 special seals to effectively prevent the intrusion of dust and water into the lens interior. By coupling this lens with a dustproof, weather-resistant PENTAX interchangeable lens digital camera body such as the PENTAX K-5 or PENTAX K-30, the user is assured of a durable, reliable imaging system that performs superbly in demanding outdoor settings — even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
New exterior design signifying HD series
The lens exterior has been painted an elegant white to minimize heat haze generated inside the lens barrel due to a blazing sun. Featured in the middle of the lens barrel is a red almite ring that serves as a distinct, radiant symbol of the new HD PENTAX lens series. Strap lugs are made from machined aluminium to enhance its exclusive appearance.
Easy control of circular polarizing filter
This lens comes with a built-in, removable filter holder positioned in the barrel. By mounting the C-PL (circular polarizing) filter (40.5mm in diameter; included as an exclusive accessory) to the holder, the user can easily obtain the desired polarizing effect simply by rotating the filter using its control ring.
- Smooth autofocus operation using an AF driving motor (DC motor) installed in the lens barrel**
- Quick-Shift Focus system for instant switching to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s AF system
- SP (Super Protect) coating applied to the front surface of the lens to effectively repel water and grease and easily wipe off dust and stains
- Rounded diaphragm to produce a smooth, beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus rendition), while minimizing the streaking effect of point light source
** This lens is compatible with the K-5 Ⅱ,K-5 Ⅱ s,K-30,K-01, K-5, K-r, K-7, K-x, K-m, K20D, K200D, K100D Super and K10D camera bodies (with Ver. 1.30 or later firmware installed). When mounted on other camera bodies, the focus mode is automatically switched to manual.